Yesterday we went to the beach and boy was it windy! It was still fun playing in the sand and chasing Rowan around but we were only there for about 45 minutes before it unexpectedly started pouring rain on us. At least it was a mini adventure...
TGIF people! Unfortunately, D has to work tomorrow but Rowan and I will be meeting up with a friend for brunch and we have some fun plans for Saturday night and Sunday with papa so I'm excited for the weekend! Happy Friday!
Any of you that follow me here or especially on Instagram may already realize that I am all about the dranks. Whether they're boozy or non-boozy, caffeinated or non-caffeinated I definitely love my beverages. I love looking forward to them every morning (hello coffee), I love drinking them (feels eventful!), I love taking pictures of them (oh hi, IG), I love 'em. So I thought I'd share some of my favs and explain a little why they are just that.
Disclaimer: I know that pretty much all of these are sugary, empty calorie, generally not very good for you beverages but this is supposed to be fun people. And everyone knows all the good stuff is bad stuff. So don't drink all of these in the same day, or more than one at a time or you know, overindulge 'cause that will lead you down a road no one really wants to go, ok? Ok.
1. Starbucks Iced Chai Tea Latte! Oh my god I crave these on a daily basis.. and used to drink them that often. The special thing about this drink for me is that the flavor compliments any season. Yes, I know, I live in Hawaii and we kinda don't have seasons (yes we do- rainy and not rainy) but it does get hot and what we consider to be "cold" and that makes it feel a little more like summer or a little more like winter... you get the idea. The spice in this chai feels fresh in the spring and summer, pumpkiny in the fall and Christmasy in the winter. It's perfect. I only drink it iced, even when it's cold, but that's how I like all of my drinks. I also only drink it with a straw, even if I pour it into a cup at home.
Suggested tip: pair with cute sandals, sunnies and a good Pandora station like The Whitest Boy Alive (my current fav) or Phoenix and you've got yourself a morning in paradise. Even better if you can get to grass or sand.
2. Royal Mills Iced Cappuccino! This is my go-to at home drink of choice. I will only drink one per day, which contains 170 less calories than if I were to indulge in an iced chai, and it is de-lish. I always always always pour mine into a coffee mug because it tastes a little bit metal-funky straight out of the can. Because this is a coffee drink waiting for me right downstairs in my fridge I seriously wake up for this shiz. The second I open my eyes I look at Rowan and think "how'd I get so lucky?" but the next second I think "can't wait to get that coffee in. muh. belly!" and we hurry downstairs to make a mug and sippy cup full of goodness. Sippy cup of milk, mug of joe, you get what I mean. I genuinely look forward to enjoying this coffee on the couch with my little sleepy-eyed ladybird and relishing in it's smooth, ever so slightly nutty flavor. There are also three other flavors of Royal Mills Iced Coffee that I know of: Mocha, Kona Black and Coffee. THEY ARE DISGUSTING. I don't know how they went so wrong with these three but so damn right with their Cappuccino. Don't bother trying out the others, srsly.
Suggested tip: pair with a silk robe, cuddly kid, a good book or while watching Kathie Lee & Hoda on the morning Today show and you've got yourself a reason to become a "morning person."
3. Iced Lemon Water! You guys, I used to never drink water. It was bad. I pretty much lived off of coffee (I worked at Starbucks, so I practically injected caffeine directly into my veins every day for a couple of years) but after a while I started becoming more health conscious and concerned with my dry skin and lack of sleep. So, I became friends with water. I actually really love chugging it all afternoon and I even set the alarm on my phone to go off every hour, at which time I chug another 8oz, with lemon juice, about 7 times a day. They say you're supposed to drink 8-10 8oz glasses a day but really, if you're drinking other liquids as well, I think 7 will suffice. Then again I'm no nutritionist so don't listen to me. Drink 8 glasses! Anyway I noticed a drastic change in my skin and feel like it's another little step I've taken to becoming a healthier person, so kudos to me.
Suggested tip: pair with ice because your body has to expend energy to heat cold water to body temperature and that means you're burning a few extra calories a day, a lemon wedge because it feels fancy, a tuna lettuce wrap and some almonds and grapes and you've got yourself a quick, healthy, yummy lunch and won't feel bad when you sit in front your tv for 45 minutes later that day to catch up on The Vampire Diaries, or whatever. Also: Don't take recipe/meal/food advice from me 'cause I'm still trying to figure that part of life out.
4. Thai Iced Tea! I hardly ever enjoy one of these bad boys because I only ever order one when we eat at a Thai restaurant, which isn't that often, but I LOVE THEM. They're smooth but filling, so don't drink an entire glass before your meal arrives at the table. I know it's the bomb, but pace yo'self. You're probably only going to want one with your meal but that's a good thing 'cause I'm sure this is packed with empty calories, as are most of the drinks I love (sorry!). This is just my special every-once-in-a-while treat that I look forward to on take-out nights at our household and really there's not much more to say other than try it if you haven't already the next time you're at a Thai restaurant. You're welcome.
Suggested tip: pair with spring rolls, yellow chicken curry, sticky rice and a straw because I said so.. and also because if you sip it straight from the cup and the ice falls from the bottom onto your face causing your orange Thai iced tea to spill all over your white shirt you can't say I didn't warn you.
5. Fresgria! This is the best cocktail ever! My mom got me hooked on it while she was here visiting and I love her even more for it. There are no calories in Fresca (!) but it tastes way better than any other "zero calorie" drink. I pour in just a teeny bit over half a small glass with Fresca before adding The Real Sangria (my favorite ready made sangria out there) the rest of the way. That makes it under 100 calories which is awesome because I don't want to regain the 5lbs I just lost. Anyway, this drink is super tasty and is red and pretty and feels kinda guilt free so, win!
Suggested tip: pair with a small Mad Men style old fashioned glass, lipstick, three ice cubes, a good/bad reality show like The Real Housewives or The Bachelorette and your mom by your side and you've got yourself a fun girls night in.
6. CPK's Raspberry Lemon Drop Martini! This is probably, taste-wise, my favorite cocktail of all time. Plus it reminds me of when D and I first started dating and used to go out to eat there all the time 'cause it's my favorite restaurant. It was the most delicious buzz to get before spending all of my money at Forever 21 and having even more good reason to tightly hold his hand throughout the mall, hardy har. But seriously, I pretty much never order these anymore so I was really excited when I found CPK's exact recipe online and made them at our clothing swap party last week!
Suggested tip: pair with either a group of girlfriends, out to lunch, gossiping, wearing high heels and recreating your favorite Sex and the City episodes in real life OR with your man, at the mall, before spending money and trust me all of those outfits will look effing fantastic on you in that dressing room. Git it gurrrl.
7. Twinings Earl Grey Tea! This tea is also available in decaf and I lived on this stuff in the earlier months of my pregnancy. It's the only drink on this list (or at all, really) that I prefer hot and I add a tablespoon of sugar-free vanilla coffee creamer or almond milk to it. This is my throwback drink. You know, the taste that takes you back to another time and makes you feel all those feelings that you felt again. It's my little time machine. Whenever I'm feeling nostalgic about our first home together, or the pregnancy, or Rowan being super brand new, I turn to this tea and feel a couple of years younger. Gotta love the power of the senses.
Suggested tip: pair with some kind of milk or sweetener unless you're hard core and drink straight tea, a cute to-go tea cup like this one, a rainy day, your husband's hand and a drive around the neighborhood while listening to Feist or Mirah and you've got yourself a new happy memory to remember and re-live later down the road.
So there you have it! My favorite drinks and why I love them... let me know if you try any of them for the first time after reading this and how you like them! Have fun making memories.
The swap was fun! We ordered Thai food, made CPK's raspberry lemon drop martini's (recipe here!), listened to music, played with Rowan and everyone scored pretty new things to take home. This was a pretty low-key swap since there were only four of us but I'd still call it a huge success. I can't wait to wear my new-to-me threads.
- Derek and I have been talking about moving. Again. I have no clue what will happen, maybe nothing will, but it's definitely being talked about and even that just makes me nervous/excited.
P.S. You know you're a freak when one of the saddest thoughts you have about moving away from Hawaii is that fact that you can't go see your psychic anymore.
BUT I LOVE HER!
- Some construction guys have been rebuilding our neighbors balcony for the last 2 1/2 weeks and today is the first day that they're gone and I can record again sans noise. I'm anxious to get on it. It's already April and I only have till the end of the year to finish this album. Even though it was supposed to be a low-key, maybe even intentionally mediocre, recorded-at-home-all-by-myself project, I'm being my usual perfectionist self and taking way too long. I need to get my act together and keep reminding myself what this album was meant to be in the first place.
- I will go to the mall, get an iced chai from Starbucks, shop and then come home and record today. No matter what. Blogging was also on my to-do list but obv I can check that one off. It may seem like some pretty easy goals to accomplish in one day but you have no idea how many times I've tried to cram all this in in one day and failed. The shopping thing is more an errand than a fun shopping spree and I haven't stepped foot into a Starbucks for a week and a half, which may be a record for me. Hello, my name is Jessica and I'm an addict.
- I was wondering.. am I the only one over the age of 16 that is obsessing over The Vampire Diaries? 'Cause I love it but have no friends to gush about it with..
P.S. For those of you that do enjoy it, my friend saw Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Elena (Nina Dobrev) at the grocery store 10 minutes away from my house a couple nights ago and I almost died with jealousy. They're here on vacation and happen to be my favorite characters from the show. So lucky, my friend. So lucky.
- My weekly dinner with the girls is tomorrow and this week we're having it at my house because it's not only dinner, but a clothes swap! We're all bringing at least 5 items of clothing and anything else is extra including accessories/etc. I'm pretty excited to trade some stuff I've been meaning to donate and I love that my friends and I have similar taste and can actually make this happen. It should be a fun night.
- Four nights ago Rowan said "love you." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I died.